Monday, May 7, 2012

When I was six...


Public Domain image from Library of Congress. Downtown Philadelphia 1927
"When I was six, we moved to 1234 N 18th Street.  I started to school at the Gesu across the street from our house.

My best friends were the G. children, Dot, Billie and Bob.  We had lots of scrapes growing up together.  Once I pushed Billie off his pedal car and cut his head.  The sight of blood and a couple of stitches put a strain on the friendship for a while.  Dot gave me a haircut and I wound up looking like a boy when the barber tried to smooth off the tufts that were left.  I liked it so much I wore that boyish bob for years.

Their mother was a pretty widow and we kids tried to fix her up with my Dad so they could get married and would all be one family.  However the grownups didn't think it was such a good idea.

Daddy met a woman in New York City and married her when I was about eight years old.  She continued to live in New York where she had a big job and spent the weekends with us or Dad went there with her.

I stayed with grandmom which suited me fine because I hated her and was afraid they would take me to New York.  It didn't work out and they got a divorce after about a year or so."

I attempted to contact the man who posted about this family, and unfortunately his email address is inactive.  The search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment