Sunday, May 6, 2012

To my children...

"To my children,
This is a short history of the H. side of your family.

My grandmother Lily H. was born and raised in Baltimore.  She was a small child during the civil war and her mother was a southern sympathizer and hid confederate soldiers in her attic until they could escape back to the southern forces.

Lilly eloped to Towson to marry William H. who came to America from London England as a child.  Lilly had three sisters Etta, Fannie, and Rose and a brother, Harry.  Their father Harry W. came to America from Hess Castle Germany.  He was a marble cutter and cut many fancy angels and other tombstones in Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore.

Lilly and William moved to Philadelphia where William opened a fancy grocery store with Fannie's husband, Frank B.  Rose and Etta moved in a house around the corner from them.  Lilly and William had six boys, one who died at birth, two who died from diptheria at three and four years of age and Hutter, Walter and Frank, who was my father.

Hutter married and moved to Atlantic City, New Jersey where he managed a department store.  Later he moved to Shreveport, Louisiana and over the years we lost contact with him.

Walter married Lady Catherine T., a Scottish noble lady and settled in Chicago, Illinois.  They had no children.

Frank, my father, married Margaret C. when she was very young.  I've heard she was sixteen but I'm not sure that was right and I have no one to ask."

As I was researching everything I could find so that I could get my hands on a picture of some sort to accompany this post (I have searched every name in the list and not been able to find much), I found something truly remarkable:  a descendant of Walter H. who is looking for more information about his family.  The post is from 1998 but I'm going to send him an email and maybe he can help me piece this together and find the family that belongs to this time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment